Home arrow Forums
FireBoard
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Pressure Switch - Shurflo Water Pump (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Pressure Switch - Shurflo Water Pump
tlaw7 (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline
Pressure Switch - Johnson Pump 4 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 1  
Hello, All.

After close to four seasons of liveaboard fresh water use, my Johnson UNO 5.2 fresh water pump stopped working yesterday. Power's on and tanks are full. I suspect the pressure switch has worn out or stopped working. before I tear into it, I was wondering if another owner has had a similar problem with the same model.

Any advice, suggestions, kibitzing, opinions appreciated.

Best,

Tom Law
ARION
AT43.5

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Jonathan (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline
Re:Pressure Switch - Johnson Pump 4 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 1  
Breaker is on - did you check power at the pump? I had a bad connection where the pump connected to the feed wire . . . so although the breaker was on, there was no power at the pump. If you've got power to the pump, suspect the pressure switch, or an overheated motor on thermal cut-out. That one is obvious - the pump body will feel hot.

Jonathan
REJOICE
AT34-068
tlaw7 (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline
Re:Pressure Switch - Johnson Pump 4 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 1  
Thanks for the reply. I tested the power at the pump and it was fine. I swapped the sea water washdown pump with the fresh water pump and it works fine. Must be the pressure switch and I ordered one from Depco Pump in Florida. A week to ten days; on backorder. Tried several other places but none in stock anywhere. Makes me think I'll order another one over the winter for a spare.

Meanwhile, how cool is it that we have a built-in spare water pump in case of an emergency! Nice to know I don't have to carry a spare pump - at $500! Don't know why they're so expensive - except for the "marine" tag.

All the Best,

Tom Law
ARION
AT43.5025

Tugtardis (User)
Landlubbers - ex-Owners of AT34-48 2004-2012
Platinum Boarder
graph
User Offline
Gender: Male Location: Eustis - near Orlando FL Birthdate: 1955-04-11
Re:Pressure Switch - Johnson Pump 4 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 4  
Hi Tom - a timely post,
I know Tomco have used various pumps on the AT34/365 (!) in an attempt to solve reliability problems.
I have a Shurlo that worked great for 4 years, then failed. I also bought a rebuild kit from Depco, but the problem turned-out to be the little microswitch in the base.
Its about 1in X 1/2in X 1/4in, marked OMRON V-15-2C26-K.
I sourced some online from an electrical company, and have 10 (min order) on the way.

When you get your rebuild kit, and tear-apart the old one (and, being a real boater - I know you will) if you have the same switch in your pump, I'll happily send you one...

(For any lurkers - I'll take some to the East Coast Rendezvous in a coupla weeks as well).

It is a NC (Normally closed) swich - should test close to 0 resistance between the contacts, changing to Open (or several Meg Ohms) when you 'click' the little contact button.
My bad one had high resistance between the NC contacts.

Jeremy

From Dave Barry's "Real Man's Test":
A Spaceship lands near you and an alien gets out and hands you a small strange-looking device. He tells you that it can cure all diseases, and bring about everlasting World Peace.
Do you:
a. Take it to the President of the United States ??
b. Take it to the Secretary-general of the United Nations ??
c. Take it apart ???

Correct answer is of course c.

Tugtardis (User)
Landlubbers - ex-Owners of AT34-48 2004-2012
Platinum Boarder
graph
User Offline
Gender: Male Location: Eustis - near Orlando FL Birthdate: 1955-04-11
Re:Pressure Switch - Shurflo Water Pump 4 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 4  
In talking to other owners at the East RV, and of course the K-man, I think I've discovered the following about the fresh water pumps on ATs:
- earlier boats used various Shurflo constant-pressure pumps, together with Accumulator tanks
These use a microswitch to turn the pump on and off, and the accumulator tank to 'smooth-out' the water delivery and prevent rapid pump cycling
- due to many failures, Tomco switched to Johnson electronically-switched variable-pressure pumps. These do not have an Accumulator tank.
- Kurt said that most failures were the switches rather than the pump mechanism or the electric motor. If the accumulator tank loses air pressure, the pump cycles on-and-off too often, which wears-out the microswitch. That was certainly what happened with mine.

I have no experience with the newer pumps, but I've rebuilt my Shurflo twice now...not bad for 7 years, inc 5 liveaboard.
The Accumulator tank has a schraeder (bicycle) valve on the top. There should be 15PSI of air pressure in the tank when there is no pressure in the water system.

I have 2 spare microswitches for the Shurflo pumps. They're OMRON V-15-2C26-K If anyone is in need of one lemme know and I'll mail it.
I doubt it'll work in the Johnson pump - they use a different switching mechanism I think.

Jeremy the Plumber

tlaw7 (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline
Re:Pressure Switch - Shurflo Water Pump 4 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 1  
All,

I got my pressure switch from Depco Pump after a coupe of weeks on backorder - $62! In the meantime, the boat as been pulled for the season and winterized. So, I will not re-install the pump until next Spring. Oh, well.

Jeremy, The Johnson pump on the fresh water side does have an Accumulator tank with a scraeder valve (new word!). Probably the same pressure setting, although I will look next time I'm on the boat.

In the meantime, I will search for he lowest price pressure switch I can find and order a spare - sure wouldn't want to wait this long "on the road".

Cheers,

Tom Law
ARION
AT43.5025

Go to top Post Reply